Sunday, August 30, 2009

Silent Fog


Silent Fog (study), 12 x 12
Fowler Road Beach Access, Southampton

Because of Hurricane Bill, the east coast was completely socked in with fog on several mornings I was there. The extremeness of it was so inspiring - I love the soft, unresolved edges and mysterious quietness. I drove to this beach access thinking I would actually paint on the beach, but I couldn't get past the road leading up to it.
.
The afternoon before, I had done the following studies on the beach; so misty, moisty atmospheric conditions were already catching my fancy...
.

Disappearing Shoreline 1 & 2, each 6 x 8

13 comments:

Kate Merriman said...

Wow, I truly love this one. I know it was painted far from California, but the fog does remind me of home! Nothing as romantic to me as a foggy beach.

Carolyn Finnell said...

It's obvious how tuned in to your surroundings you are. You find the extraordinary everyday and show us what we've been missing.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laurel,

How perfect and moody this painting is, and the studies are wonderful too.

Great work.

XOXOXOXBarbara

Victor Errington said...

Yes, I like this one Laurel. Also
the studies. I like very much the no edges of the whole painting.
And the studies, to me, they are paintings in their own right.
All the best Laurel.
Vic.

Tammy Hext said...

Love the mood in this one.
Gorgeous

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I'm intrigued by the colors you used to portray the misty air.
These are fantastic.

julie davis said...

I liked this one before I even knew who painted it--saw it in my list of blogs I follow--I really like the muted colors.

Stephen Parker said...

What a wonderful job of both choosing and solving a challenge. Somehow, even in fog, you managed to still make color a compelling element of the scene. Beautiful!

Lisa Daria said...

Lovely - the limited color is really effective, love the gestural mark making, very expressive.

Marian Fortunati said...

Interesting how the weather can change the looks and mood of a place, isn't it.

Karen said...

Not only are the edges really great here, it's the color/it's lack that really fascinates me here.

Dana Cooper said...

Laurel, you stated the atmosphere so completely, yet so simply...beautiful!

fairiemoon said...

Again, very cool...can you tell that I am reviewing all of these paintings backwards? LOL!

Erin :)