Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Garden Square - Demo and Process Notes

Garden Square, 12 x 12, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2014

Today I did a painting demonstration at the new Anderson Gallery Annex on St. Simons Island, Georgia. Since the demo was indoors, I decided to replicate this plein air painting completed on location yesterday. Having the finished piece is a great reference because it helps students/viewers get an idea of where I am headed with all my process decisions.  (And it's a great reference for me as I paint the image again!!) I even remembered to take pictures to recap it here for them and for you. Many thanks to all my attendees!


The scene from my easel...
This  is a garden park named Hanover Square in Brunswick, Georgia. 

Block In...
Line and mass sketch establishes composition and value relationships. 
Paint color is a dark neutral mix of Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna.

Upright Plane…
Dark and light families in the upright elements adjust as they recede into the distance - values come together (darks get lighter and lights get darker).

Ground plane…
Since the ground plane reflects the sky, it is usually the second lightest element in the landscape (the lightest element will be the sky, where the sun is). 

Sky Plane and Final Highlights…
Once all elements are working together, add details and final highlights. This is a serious exercise in delayed gratification, but it always, ALWAYS works best to leave those details until the very end!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I keep thinking I've commented, and then poof I haven't. Forgive me. This is wonderful. You so rock.

I've been super tired this week, so sometimes late at night I read your blog and think I've commented because my brain is reeling with words I might say, but clearly haven't.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Unknown said...

I so enjoyed reading about your painting process. Palm Court caught my eye the other day. Glad I dropped in on your blog. Thanks for sharing from sketch to the end. Patricia Powers