Friday, May 2, 2014

Marshside Palms Demo - Georgia Workshop

Marshside Palms Demo, 8 x 6, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2014
SOLD

This is another demo from my workshop last week. I want to thank one of my students, Joan Vienot, for taking a few pictures; and for sending them to me so that I can share them with you! Did I mention what great students I had?? We had a wonderful time painting together on St. Simons Island. 

Pencil drawing in sketchbook for composition and visual idea…
it always helps me to think things through ahead of time.

Outline on canvas for placement…
I keep it light and sketchy at first to make sure I have achieved my composition plan before adding value or details (easy to change if needed).

Blocking in the dark masses…
I always work dark to light and front to back. Yep, I do the sky last.

Palette with mixed color piles…
I try to maintain an organized palette, keeping families of color together. My only medium is refined linseed oil, so I use a lot of brushes - about one per color.  

Finished painting - Marshside Palms

1 comment:

Barbara Muir said...

So love this, and the demo. You rock!

XOXOXOXO Barbara